Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My First Responsibility

I often get asked, “What is your greatest responsibility as a pastor?” When people ask that question, they are expecting answers like preaching, administration and such. However, my answer has never been any of those things. My answer is the same answer that you should give when asked what your greatest responsibility is. Our greatest responsibility is to live holy lives before God. It doesn’t matter what your vocation is, as a follower of Christ, you have the ultimate responsibility to live a godly life.

I have learned that when I focus on living godly that all the other responsibilities take care of themselves. I’m a much better husband when I am living holy. I’m a much better father when I am living holy. I’m a much better son and brother when I am living holy. I’m a much better pastor when I am living holy. I hope by now you get the point. There are a lot of things that happen in life that we have no control over. However, the depth of our holiness is not one of those things.

I challenge you to make living holy your first responsibility, then watch what God does with the other areas of your life. I leave you with 1 Peter 1:15-16, “But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, ‘You shall be holy, for I am holy.’”